Monday, March 10, 2008

Politicians: Trust No One



Eliot Spitzer: Hypocrite
No Longer Measures Up

One of the catch phrases of the show The X-Files was “Trust No One.” It was a reflection of the alleged government conspiracy that Fox Mulder chased down during his days as an FBI agent.

It seems these days, we can apply that phrase to politicians. Most recently, it applies to the news that the Governor of New York, Eliot Spitzer, has some sort of involvement in a prostitution ring. (I am sure it will soon be a “ripped from the headlines" story on one of the Law & Order franchise shows.)

Eliot Spitzer, as Attorney General of New York, was a frequent crusader against big business’s white-collar crime, corruption, and tackling organized crime. In fact, Time Magazine named him "Crusader of the Year" during his two terms as New York AG. He was considered the sheriff of Wall Street. The icing on his hypocracy is that included in some of his prosecutions were prostitution rings. Now, he may go down in history as Eliot Spitzer: Hypocrite. He should resign immediately.

Is it too much to ask to have an honest politician? How can people protect themselves against electing people like this to public office, much less a very high public office like Governor?

I am not sure of the answer, but I can tell you one thing – I don’t trust any of them. And going into a presidential election season, I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

So I will take the advice of Fox Mulder and I will trust no one. My only hope is that during the presidential campaigning season that the media and the general public are relentless in analyzing every little black mark in every candidate's record. I don’t think we’ll find anyone that’s perfect of course, but I do expect my elected officials not to be flaming hypocrites.

Is that too much to ask? I don’t think so.

Check out my blog home page for the latest information, here.

No comments: