Monday, January 21, 2008

The Superbowl – Do we really need a 6 hour pregame show?

While watching football yesterday, I heard the Fox sportscasters mention that there will be a 6 (yes, six) hour Superbowl pre-game show, on February 3. I thought they were joking, until I researched the information and found it IS true.

Do we need such a lengthy pregame show? After all, the game itself usually runs about 3-1/2 hours. Is it really necessary to talk about it for 6 hours before? From what I understand, as part of the show, Fox is going to feature Idol judge Paula Abdul and debut her “Dance Like There's No Tomorrow” music video. Just exactly what does that have to do with football or the Superbowl? I also heard that host Ryan Seacrest will be hosting a “red carpet” for arriving celebrities. This is the Superbowl, not the Oscars or Emmys! And, it’s definitely not American Idol.

This about this: The ads during the Superbowl seem geared to men. Beer-drinking, pickup truck driving men. There are the ubiquitous beer commercials, pickup truck commercials, men driving regular cars very fast…these commercials were not meant for women. So why on earth would they gear the pre-game with music videos and “red carpet” interviews from American Idol people? It doesn’t sound like anything related to football, or sports in general, or even to the football demographic. It seems to me that the pregame show is more about Fox’s shameless self-promotion, not the Superbowl.

I don’t know about you, but I won’t be wasting my time with the pregame show. I’m sure I can find something better to do.


Check out my blog home page for the latest information, HERE!

No comments: